Contact Working Tax Credit Helpline

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours

Days Open Closed
Monday 08:00 20:00
Tuesday 08:00 20:00
Wednesday 08:00 20:00
Thursday 08:00 20:00
Friday 08:00 20:00
Saturday 08:00 16:00
Saturday 09:00 17:00


Pro Tips for Working Tax Credits Callers

You could be eligible to make a claim. HMRC calculates the amount of tax credit to be awarded, this is based on your income during the last financial year and your current circumstances.

You can choose to have your Working Tax Credit paid every week, or every four weeks. Money is paid directly into your bank account.

There are forms that need to be filled out every year for a renewal of your claim. These forms (TC603R and TC603D) will need to be filled out with information about earnings for the year that has just lapsed.

If an overpayment has been made at any point in the year, then the money must be paid back to HM Revenue and Customs.

About seven million people in the United Kingdom have the right to claim Working Tax Credit, but many don’t, so claim if this applies to you.

Frequently asked questions by people who call the Working Tax Credits number

Am I eligible for Working Tax Credit?

You could be eligible if you fit the following criteria:

  • You’re 25 years old or over – with or without children
  • You’re between 16 and 24 and have a registered disability
  • You’re between 16 and 24 and have a child
  • You work a certain number of hours every week
  • Your income is low
  • You usually get paid for the work you do

You can contact Working Tax Credits helpline to find out how much you could be getting, or you can go online and use the “Tax Credits Calculator”.

How much will I get?

There is a basic amount that every who is eligible, is entitled to, then there are the extra amounts that are determined by your circumstances. These extras are called “Elements”.

How will I be paid?

All state benefit is paid directly into your account. You must have a building society account or a bank account. Your payments will be make every four weeks or every week.

You have to choose one account if you’re making a claim as a couple – the benefit won’t be split into two or more accounts.

What if I moved house or I get a new job?

If ANY of your circumstances change, you need to report it immediately. Whether it’s a house move, new job, change of income of anyone in the household or new member in your house – anything that changes income and living costs, should be reported and your Working Tax Credits should be amended.

How much do I have to work in order to qualify for WTC?

  • Between the ages 25 – 59 You must work 30 hours a week
  • Age 60 or over 16 or more hours a week
  • Disabled 16 or more hours a week
  • Single with at least 1 child 16 or more hours a week
  • Couple with at least 1 child 24 hours between you both

A child is defined as someone who is younger than 16 or someone who in younger than 20, but is studying or training.

How do I qualify for Working Tax Credits?

To qualify for Working Tax Credits you must meet some minimum criteria. Firstly, you will need to be between sixteen and twenty four years old and be a parent, as in you have a child, or, you must have a disability that qualifies you for Working Tax Credits. Otherwise, you may apply if you’re over twenty five years old, even if you don’t have children.

Other qualifying criteria are that you go to work for a specific number of hours every week, that you receive a payment, wage, or salary for the work that you complete, and that your income falls below a certain threshold. Call the Working Tax Credit number on this page to discuss your situation.

How much is the Working Tax Credit?

Although the amount you receive is dependent solely on your personal circumstances, the maximum Working Tax Credit is up to one thousand nine hundred and sixty pounds per year.

I’m currently on leave, can I still apply for Working Tax Credit?

Yes, although you are on leave from your job you may still be able to apply for Working Tax Credits.

I am about to start a new job, can I still apply for Working Tax Credit?

Yes, even if you’re about to start a new job you may still be able to apply for Working Tax Credit. It is important to remember though that if you’re applying for Universal Credit, you will not be able to apply for both at the same time, and must choose between one or the other.

I live in a Universal Credit area, can I still apply for Working Tax Credit?

You may not apply for Working Tax Credit if you are currently living in a Universal Credit area, and in addition, you cannot apply for both of these at the same time. You may need to apply for Universal Credit instead or talk to an advisor to see which is applicable for you by calling the Working Tax Credit contact number.

How old do I have to be to qualify for Working Tax Credit?

The youngest you can be is sixteen years old. However, if you are aged below twenty five then you must have children or a disability. Only those who are over twenty five years old can apply if they have no children or disability.

How many hours do I need to work to get Working Tax Credit?

This depends mainly on your age. If you are between twenty five and twenty nine years old then the minimum is thirty hours of work per week. If you are aged over sixty years old then you must work sixteen hours a week.

If you qualify as disabled then similarly, you must work sixteen hours per week. If you are single and a parent with at least one child then you must work a minimum of sixteen hours per week, but if you are a couple with a child or children then you must work a minimum of twenty four hours shared between both of you, with one of you working at least sixteen hours in a single week. If you wish to discuss this further call the Working Tax Credit phone number on this page.

How old can a child be to qualify as a parent?

Normally a child may have to be sixteen years old or under. That said, if the child is in an approved educational programme or at an approved educational training center then they may still count up to twenty years old.

I work for myself (self-employed) do I still qualify for Working Tax Credit?

This is dependent on whether or not you aim to make a profit. To specify, if you do not work regularly but just when work is available, and do not keep proper records, and do not follow the law or regulations related to the work you carry out, then you may not qualify for Working Tax Credit.

Your work, in essence, must be organised well and to run like a business and make a profit. If you do not meet these criteria then it is possible that you may not be able to qualify for Working Tax Credit.

It is possible that when you apply for this, you will be asked to provide some evidence that you are operating in this way so be prepared when you call the Working Tax Credits telephone number.

For example, you could need to submit documents such as records of your business, advertisements that you’ve taken out, promotional materials that you’ve used, or anything else to showcase the fact that you are running a well-organised self-employment regime that aims to make money above and beyond the expenditures.

I’m renting out a room, does that count as paid work?

Money that you earn from a rent-a-room scheme or from privately renting out a room may count as income but it may not count as work under the Working Tax Credits scheme. To find out more about whether this qualifies or not you might need to speak to an advisor by calling the Working Tax Credits contact number above.

How do I receive Working Tax Credit?

Working Tax Credit may be paid into your bank account either weekly or once monthly. If you are qualified and accepted for Working Tax Credit as a family or as a couple then it is important you nominate a single account to receive the Working Tax Credit into. The payments may continue until the end of the next tax year in April. Call the Working Tax Credit helpline to discuss eligibility.

Can my Tax Credits change?

It is possible that there are some circumstances in which the amount of Tax Credits you receive changes. This can include if you’re fired or lose your job, if the partner you applied for Tax Credits with is deceased, if your family organisation changes or your form of employment changes.

If any of these should occur then you may wish to talk to the government agency responsible directly by calling the Working Tax Credits phone number.