Contact Student Finance Helpline

Call Student Finance for help with Eligibility, Student Loan Repayment & Applications. Customer service is open Weekdays 8:00am-8:00pm Weekends 9:00am-4:00pm.

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours


Days Open Closed
Monday 08:00 20:00
Tuesday 08:00 20:00
Wednesday 08:00 20:00
Thursday 08:00 20:00
Friday 08:00 20:00
Saturday 09:00 16:00
Sunday 09:00 16:00


Pro Tips for the Student Finance Helpline callers

Applying for a student loan can be a very easy process. Simply log onto the Student Finance / government website and follow the on-screen instructions.

Most students, both part time and full time can apply online. The other oprtion is to apply by post. You can call the Student Finance helpline to get started or simply to ask a question, should you have one.

Frequently asked questions for user of the Studennt Finance contact number

How do I set up a student loan?

First you need to set up an account on the Student Finances website at, then follow the following steps:

  • Log in to your account online
  • Complete the online application
  • Complete the details about household income (this is the whole household)
  • If prompted, send in your proof of identity
  • Sign the loan declaration and send it in – you should receive this within six weeks

When do I apply?

You can check the website to see when you are able to apply. This is usually nine months after the start of the academic year.

You don’t need a confirmed place at your chosen university, in order to apply for a student loan.

What proof of identity do you need from me?

Students from England will need the details of their passports, but not the passports themselves.

Student from the EU need to send their passport or ID card.

Any proof of identity will be returned within four weeks of receipt.

Documents need to be sent to the following postal address(es):

Students from England

Student Finance England

PO Box 210


EU students

Student Finance Services Non UK Team

Student Finance England

PO Box 89



How do I support an application if I am a parent or a partner of the applicant?

After the student has made the application online or by post, you will usually be emailed asking you to confirm your income. Please follow the steps on completing the confirmation online.

You need to notify “Student Finance England” is you expect your income to fall by 15% or more.

Student Finance reserves the right to ask you for more information or proof of your income or current occupation.

That proof may be one of the following:

  • Earned income – The last payslip of the tax year or P60
  • Divorce or separation – Decree absolute or Civil partnership dissolution order or letter form solicitor advising on your marital status
  • Unearned income – Bank statements showing interest or investments or benefits book or Self Assessment tax return
  • Dependent children – Just mention these details

What income is subject to assessment?

If you are under the age of 25 – your parents’ income will be assessed.

If you’re living with a partner and you’re over the age of 25, their income will be assessed.

Earned and unearned income (discussed previously) will also be taken into account. The tax year that will be taken into consideration, is the same as the year you will be applying for