Contact Income Support Helpline

TAP HERE TO CALL Income Support


*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours


Days Open Closed
Monday 08:00 18:00
Tuesday 08:00 18:00
Wednesday 08:00 18:00
Thursday 08:00 18:00
Friday 08:00 18:00

Pro Tips for People Calling the Income Support Number:

Remember to declare your partners savings as well, as this counts towards your eligibility.

Once you reach retirement age, you are able to apply for Pension Credit

You can be sleeping rough, in a care home, with friends or in a hostel – you could still be able to claim. A permanent address is not essential.

You can also qualify of you’re between 16 and 19 and are either a parent, not living with a parent or guardian or a refugee learning English

Tell JobCentre Plus as soon as your circumstances change in any way. This can be anything that effects your income, job changes, savings, address and even if someone moves in or out of your household.

You could be committing benefit fraud if you don’t tell Income Support about changes in your situation.

The quickest way to make an application is over the phone, so call the Income Support number today.

You will need two things for identification when you call. Your date of birth and your National Insurance Number.

If you feel that you have been denied income support unfairly, you have the right to appeal this decision. The appeal must be made to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal

Find out if you are eligible for it and apply now. The minimum amount of money for a person that qualifies for income support, is £57.90 a week and you will be automatically eligible for child support too if you also have children.

Frequently asked questions:

How do I know if I qualify?

You need to meet all of the following criteria:

  • Work less than 16 hours per week and if you live with someone, they have to work less than 24 hours per week
  • You must live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • You must have a low wage or no wage at all and savings not exceeding £16000.
  • You must be over the age of 16 and below retirement age.
  • You must be either sick, disabled, a carer, pregnant, or a single parent with a child under 5 years old.

If you qualify then call the Income Support phone number to begin the application process.

What disqualifies me from getting income support?

You usually won’t get the support if you:

  • Get Employment and Support Allowance
  • Get Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Need a visa to enter the UK
  • Have savings exceeding £16000
  • Are a young person and in the care of a local government authority

If you have specific queries about your qualifications call the Income Support contact number.

How much will I get?

That depends on your circumstances. You can get a basic payment that will be a personal allowance and extra payments that are known as “premiums”

How will I be paid?

All forms of income support are made fortnightly and are paid directly into a bank account.

Can I get the higher rate?

Possibly. It’s circumstantial so if you’re responsible for a child or living with a partner and usually would qualify for employment, Jobseeker’s, support or income support allowance if you were single – contact Income Support to find out.

What is Income Support?

Income Support is a financial benefit given to people in the United Kingdom to help them with the cost of living.

How much is income support?

The actual amount of income support that you will receive depends on many things.

Your circumstances that affect the benefit include your age, whether you are aged between 16 and 24 or whether you are aged 25 and over, your marital status (for example, are you single, married, a couple, or a single parent), and how much money you have.

If you have over five thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine pounds in savings then the amount you receive will be affected, and if you have over sixteen thousands pounds in savings you will not qualify for the benefit.

Nevertheless, the UK Government state that the minimum amount you will receive for Income Support if you meet the eligibility criteria is fifty seven pounds and ninety pence per week.

How old do I have to be to claim income support?

To claim the benefit you need to be at the absolute minimum sixteen years old.

Your age may also affect how much money you receive each week in income support, as if you are aged between 16 and 24 the amount might be lower than if you are aged 25 or above.

This can also be affected by other factors as mentioned above. Call the phone number on this page to apply for Income Support.

What is the structure of income support?

There are two strands to income support.

The first of these is labelled a personal allowance, and this is the most basic form of the payment offered.

In addition to this, there is also a premium, or additional payment given along with the personal allowance.

How do I qualify for income support?

To qualify for income support you must meet a certain number of eligibility criteria, these are summarised in this section.

Firstly, you must either be pregnant, or a single parent with a child who is currently aged below five years old. You may also be a carer of an individual or individuals.

Alternatively, if you are not able to find employment due to sickness or disability, or you are unable to work, then you may also qualify for income support.

In addition to this, the second eligibility criteria is related to age.

As mentioned earlier, you must be aged above sixteen, but you must also be below the qualifying age for the state pension, known as the credit pension qualifying age.

Thirdly, you must meet the income criteria. This means that you do not have any income, or you have a low income. You may not have over sixteen thousand pounds in savings, and if your partner also has savings, these can be counted too.

So for example, if your partner has eight thousand pounds and you have eight thousand pounds, you may not qualify for income support, and likewise if your partner has sixteen thousand pounds and you have no savings at all.

Fourthly, you must meet the criteria for the number of hours that you spend working. You must be working below sixteen hours each week, and your partner, if you aren’t single, must be working below twenty four hours each week.

Furthermore, you need to be living in England, Wales, or Scotland, and not Northern Ireland as there are different rules for people who live in this area. Call the Income Support helpline if you have additional queries.

Can I qualify if I’m in full time education?

Yes, but there are some additional restrictions.

Firstly, you may not qualify if you are studying at university.

That said, if you are aged between sixteen years old, and twenty years old, and you are a parent yourself, or not living with someone who is a parent or guardian to you, then you may still qualify for income support.

Another scenario might be if you are a refugee and you are having to study English as an additional language, in which case you may qualify for income support while being in full time education.

Do I have to have a registered permanent place of address to qualify?

Not necessarily, the UK government state on their website that if you do not have a permanent registered address but are instead living on the streets or staying in a centre like a hostel or a home, you may still be able to claim income support.

I get Jobseeker’s allowance, can I still apply for Income Support?

No, it is not possible to apply for both Jobseeker’s allowance and Income Support simultaneously. If you are receiving one of these benefits then you may not apply for Income Support.

I have Employment and Support allowance, can I still apply for Income Support?

No, it may not be possible for you to receive Income Support if you are currently receiving Employment and Support allowance. You may only claim one of the two.

I have to obtain permission to enter the United Kingdom, can I apply for Income Support?

No, if you are unable to enter the UK without gaining prior permission to enter the country then you may not be able to apply for this benefit.

Can I get Universal Credit and Income Support at the same time?

No, you may not be allowed to apply for both Universal Credit and Income Support simultaneously.

These two benefits are mutually exclusive and you may not receive one if you currently receive the other.

What happens if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change it’s important that you inform Jobcentre Plus.

Otherwise, it is possible that you will be considered as committing a crime, benefit fraud, if caught not reporting a change in your circumstances. Call the Income Support telephone number to discuss your situation.