Contact HMRC Customer Service

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours


Days Open Closed
Monday 08:00 20:00
Tuesday 08:00 20:00
Wednesday 08:00 20:00
Thursday 08:00 20:00
Friday 08:00 20:00
Saturday 08:00 16:00
Sunday 09:00 17:00

Pro Tips When You Contact HM Revenue and Customs:

Ensure that you always have your National Insurance Number to hand when you call. This is your government identification and it allows access to information that will give the HMRC helpline phone staff a clear idea of your situation.

Declare your property and earnings abroad to avoid running into trouble later. Investments often don’t work out and if you are caught evading taxes later – this could carry a hefty fine and even a custodial sentence.

The British government has a transparent policy with regards to public funds in the UK. So if you want to know where your taxes are being spent – simply ask.

Also dealt with is Freedom of Information requests, so if there’s a part of government that you would like more information on and this hasn’t been revealed, ask the HMRC contact number staff to transfer you to the department that deals with these requests.

A brief overview of HMRC:

HMRC is a government organisation that regulates and processes public money to fund UK services and income support for families across the UK.

Customs services have the responsibility of protecting our country both physically and economically as well as facilitating trade across our borders.

The well trained advisors are standing by to assist you with various branches within the HMRC network.

Here you can report changes, appeal your tax requests and lodge a tax complaint. You can also call to receive help with any of the following general departments.

  • National Insurance
  • Tax Credits
  • VAT
  • Income Tax
  • Child Benefits
  • PAYE (for employers)
  • Self Assessment
  • Information on Tax Evasion and Avoidance
  • Personal or Business Tax Reform
  • and many more

Frequently asked questions:

How can I find out if I’m eligible for a tax break?

Call the HMRC phone number and ensure you are directed to the correct department where an advisor will be happy to find out if you’re able to save some money. Remember to have all the relative details available.

I’ve moved house and/or job, what do I need to do?

Call HMRC and let them know about the change of address as soon as possible and check your wage-slip for the tax code to ensure you aren’t paying too much?

How can I get a National Insurance Number?

Give the HM Revenue and Customs number a call and they will be happy to provide this for you.

If you are moving to the UK, you can do this once you are here. You must have a visa that allows you to work and study or be a British citizen to get a National Insurance Number.

Am I entitled to benefits or tax credits?

Billions of £’s are unclaimed each year due to people not knowing that they are entitled to more than they know. All you need to do is ask!

Remember that British MP’s and government ministers also claim these benefits, so there’s no reason to be shy or embarrassed.

Call the HMRC number listed above and find out if you are entitled to £.

I can’t log into my government gateway account

If you’ve attempted to log into your HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) account online but you have entered your password incorrectly more than three times then your service will be locked for two hours.

After two hours have passed, the account will be unlocked and you’ll be able to log in once again, provided that you can remember your correct information.

If you can’t recall your password or user ID to log into your account then you’ll have to contact HMRC to reset your information and obtain your log-in details.

How can I get my password and user ID?

When you register for an online account with HMRC you should be provided with a user ID and password.

This is important information so you should make a note of it or put it somewhere safe, to ensure that you don’t lose it and render your account inaccessible.

If you did not receive this information then it’s likely that you did not complete the signup process, so you may wish to attempt signing up again.

If however, you did receive this information but have misplaced it then you may wish to reset your password or User ID by following the instructions provided on their website or contact them over the phone by calling the HMRC telephone number above.

It’s worth remembering that you will only be provided with an Activation Code one time when you register. If you’ve registered then you should receive an activation code which allows you to validate your account.

Receiving this can take up to twenty-one working days depending on where you live, and should arrive by regular post to your house, office, or official address. There will be official stamping on the envelope that validates it as from the government.

How can I get my code for activating the service?

You should be issued with this code once you have completed the registration process. As mentioned above, it’s important that you receive this letter at your registered address and then use it to activate your account.

If you have not used your activation code within twenty-eight days of registering the account then you may need to request a new one as it could be invalidated.

It’s useful to remember that for some online processes you do not need an activation code. This is when you complete your value-added tax (VAT) return, or when you wish to fill out a notification of a vehicle arrival.

These two services, along with some others, are activated without the use or requirement of an activation code.

I haven’t got an Activation Code, what should I do?

Firstly, you will need to make sure that it has been the allotted time since you were supposed to receive it. It can take a minimum of two days to receive the activation code, although this can be longer.

For instance, if you do not live in the United Kingdom but live abroad in a different country, such as Spain, then it could take up to twenty-one full days before your activation code is delivered.

HMRC advise that if it has been over five working days and you have not yet received your activation code for online services, then you may wish to contact the HMRC customer service number to find a solution to this problem.

Possible solutions may include reissuing the Activation Code or other measure to ensure that you can log into your online account as quickly as possible.

How do I register for Self Assessment as an online user?

This depends if you are registering as an Individual, that is, a private person, or if you want to register as something else. You may also register as an ‘agent’ of someone else or something else, like an organisation, or you could register as a ‘trust or partnership’.

Each of these has a slightly different process.

As an individual, you will need to have on hand your UTR, this is also known longhand as your Unique Taxpayer Reference.

In addition to this, it is important that you also have your National Insurance (NI) number, which you should be able to locate on a government-issued blue and red National Insurance card. Finally, you will need your postcode and possibly other information for your address.

There are several ways you can find your UTR number if you do not know where it is. For example.

If you look at your Self-Assessment tax return from a previous year, it should already contain your UTR somewhere on the document.

If you do not have this and can’t find your UTR anywhere else then the next step to obtain your UTR is to contact your local tax office and ask them to provide you with it.

If you wish to register as a Partnership, or something else known as a Trust, then you must have the UTR (unique taxpayer reference) number and postcode of the Trust or Partnership, rather than the UTR of the individual as discussed above.

For an Agent you will need an Agent reference number, also known as your Self Assessment Agent Reference Number. Again, you will also need your own postcode to complete the registration process.

I want to sign up for the Corporation Tax online service, what do I need to do?

The first thing to do is decide whether you wish to sign up as an organisation or on behalf of an organisation or if you want to sign up as an agent, as this affects the procedure.

If you wish to register as an organisation then you will need several important pieces of information, including your Corporation Tax Reference, a unique identifying number that is used to single out your organisation.

You will also need the number that you received when you registered as a company or organisation at Companies House, this is called your Companies House Registration Number or CRN for short.

Your Corporation Tax Reference is also sometimes called Company Unique Taxpayer Reference or UTR, and is a number consisting of ten digits.

You should be able to locate this number in many places, including on your tax returns or any other communication that you’ve had officially with HMRC, as it will normally be included as a reference.

If you can’t find it then you may need to contact your nearest tax office to find out what this information is.

Secondly, you’ll need the postcode and address of your official registered place of business. This could be your head office if you have multiple locations but you may need to confirm that it’s the correct address.

It should be the address that you registered with companies house when you set up the business, or it could be the address that you use regularly for business correspondence. You cannot enter the address if it’s not the address registered with companies house.

Finally, you’ll need your eight number CRN code, or companies registration number. This can also sometimes include other non-numerical characters. You should be able to locate this number by looking at any communications that you’ve had with companies house from when you set up the business.

If you can’t find it, you may wish to speak to companies house.

If you wish to register as an agent then the process is slightly different, although you will need some similar information. This include your Corporation Tax Agent Reference Number, which you should have received when you completed the signup process as an agent.

If you do not have this or cannot locate it then it is important that you obtain one to act as or register as an agent. You might do this by contacting the nearest tax office or getting in touch with HMRC’s helpdesk.

I can’t make the Corporation Tax Online Service work, why not?

There are many explanations if you are having a problem using the Corporation Tax Online Service. These could include it being over the allotted time limit for registering yourself for the service.

This limit is set at twenty-eight days and if you exceed twenty-eight days before officially activating your account then you will need to redo the registration or sign-up process.

It could also be that you have entered the code incorrectly and this is resulting in you not being able to activate your account. You may wish to try entering the code a second time more carefully and ensure you match the characters that are given in your letter from HMRC.

Can I change my User ID for the Corporation Tax Online Service?

No, it is not possible to change your User ID for the Corporation Tax Online Service.

Your User ID is fixed and so you can’t alter it to make it more memorable. For that reason you may wish to note down the User ID in a safe and secure place that you can easily remember.

Can I change my password for the Corporation Tax Online Service?

While it is not possible to change your User ID for this service with HMRC, it is indeed possible to alter your password to make it more memorable, more secure, or easier to use.

To do this firstly you need to log into your online services account with HM Revenue and Customs Online services.

Following that, you will need to access the ‘your account’ section and then proceed to the left side of the interface, where you should see an option for ‘Change password’. After this you will be given on screen guidance indicating how to change your password.

You may wish to choose a secure password that mixes both numbers, letters, and even symbols. Using both upper and lower case may also be a useful way of adding extra security.

I want to update my contact details for this service, how do I do that?

It is always a good idea to keep your contact information accurate, as otherwise you could miss out on vital communications that are important to your organisation from HM Revenue and Customs.

If you wish to update your contact details as something has changed in your information then firstly you must log into your online account. After that, you can access the ‘your account’ tab and select the option for altering your personal details.

You should from there be able to alter any necessary details, for example your telephone number, your email address, and more. Make sure that you do this whenever any changes occur so that your information is always accurate and up to date.

If you are having troubles with this process call the HM Revenue and Customs contact number on this page for additional help.

Can I use online services if I don’t live in the UK?

Yes, it is possible to sign up for and use HMRC online services even if you do not currently live in the United Kingdom but live outside of the country. You will therefore, not have to enter an address which is in the United Kingdom.

The only exceptions to this are if you are registering for some specific services, like a pay as you earn tax employer or for corporation tax.

It’s worth keeping in mind that different rules apply for activation services, so for that reason, it could take in excess of two weeks and up to a maximum of twenty-one days for you to receive the activation code to access and validate your online account.

Is it possible for other people who work in my company to use the PAYE Online Service for me?

It is possible to add different people with roles such as administrator or assistant who can use the PAYE for Employers online service for you.

There is some terminology to be aware of. The administrator, who is the original person who signs up to use this online service is the one with the power to register other colleagues as administrators.

All administrators can use these services and oversee and take action on the online account of the company or organisation.

Administrators may also be able to help other users access some online services, for example if someone is only employed for a short period of time or is currently on a probationary contract or training contract.

This administrator could theoretically add this person as an assistant who can access some PAYE online features but not all of them.

How do I add someone as an assistant?

Firstly you need to access your Government Gateway website using your login information. After that, you may find the tab on the left-hand side of the page. There should be a link to both manage, add, or remove administrators and assistants.

What can an Administrator do on the online service?

An administrator is able to undertake a number of different PAYE related activities, including filing and submitting some returns and additional paperwork, get support and assistance from the helpdesk, add or delete administrators and assistants, access other HMRC services and add them to their account, and ask for new details if they’ve been lost.

Can I use the Government Gateway if I registered a long time ago?

It should still be possible, given that you have registered a long time ago in the past. Your account may not have been removed or deleted, so provided you still have your details you should be able to access the service.

If you have forgotten or misplaced your details you may need to reset your password or recover your User ID.

Why should I use Business Tax Dashboard?

Business Tax Dashboard has some benefits which make it easy for you to use some services online. Basically, it gives an overview of the tax position of your business and your tax affairs associated with your Government Gateway account.

You will be able to see up to three different pieces of tax information, including corporation tax, PAYE for Employers and VAT.

There are many different things you can see related to these taxes, like tax that your organisation owes, any repayments that you need to pay to HM Revenue and Customs, interest that you owe on payments, any fines or other financial penalties you need to pay, and also the direct debits that you’ve got set up for your account.

Lastly, it can save you a bit of time from calling the HM Revenue and Customs phone number.

I want to change my details on the Business Tax Dashboard, how do I do that?

If you need to alter your details on this service, then the first thing that you should do is log into your account. Following that you will be able to see the ‘your details’ tab on the left hand side. You should access the ‘your details’ page and following that you should be able to alter any necessary personal details.

It is important to remember that changing your email address only changes it for one tax record that it is associated with. If you want to alter it for all records then you will need to change your email on your online Government Gateway account.

To do this, please refer to the advice on doing so earlier on this page, or follow the guidance given by HMRC, or contact HMRC personally.

I want to offer access to my Business Tax Dashboard to colleagues, can I do that?

It may be possible for you to allow other people, colleagues, or employees in your organisation to access your Business Tax Dashboard. To do this, you will need to add them as administrators, the process for which is outlined earlier in this document.

Remember that you will need to be the administrator on the account in order to do this, and once you’ve made them an administrator they will have the same administrative privileges as you.

Is my Business Tax Dashboard up to date?

It depends. The tax situation on this service is regularly updated, and updates take place through the night from the first day of the week to Friday. However, they will only have payments and transactions that have already been registered with HMRC.

If there is a waiting period or a payment is pending then it may not be completely up to date. Remember that for that reason you should make sure you keep enough time for the payments that you send to actually reach HM Revenue and Customs before you raise a query that your tax situation is not up to date on this service.

I want to get rid of my Business Tax Dashboard, can I do that?

Yes, you are able to delete your Business Tax Dashboard and cease using the service if you find that it is not suitable to your needs or that you do not feel it is useful to your business tax situation.

You should ensure that you have the permission of all others using the service before you do that and ensure that you are making the right decision that has been agreed by your organisation, particularly if you are not the sole administrator for the service.

If you believe your account has been deleted accidentally you may wish to call the HMRC telephone number and speak with a specialist to resolve the issue.

Can I send any charity forms online?

Yes, it’s possible to send some charity forms online, including for the Gift Aid scheme. You can use your online services with HMRC to file your claim for the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme (GASDS).

What benefits does the Charities Online service offer?

The reason is that this is a convenient way to do many charity-related things, including a secure and fast way to send your claims on the Gift Aid scheme.

You are also able to do this according to your schedule and whenever you feel most comfortable as the service is available twenty-four hours per day seven days per week. You will also receive confirmation of your application and filing directly after submitting it.

Can I send my Company Tax Return over the internet?

This may be possible, but it has to be done with use of external software and not solely on the HMRC website.

Luckily, if you are a relatively small operation with fairly simple tax records, then you may employ the Corporation Tax filing software online which is available free and published by HM Revenue and customs.

Otherwise, if you are a larger organisation, you might need to employ specialised software that is suited to your business needs if you wish to submit your Company Tax Return over the internet.

I want to try submitting a test version of my Company Tax Return

Luckily there is a test service offered for software using companies and organisations who wish to file their tax returns online. However, you may have to confirm the possibility of using this with the provider of your tax filing software.

Does HMRC tell me when my return for Company Tax has been received?

Once you have submitted your Company Tax Return then you should receive a message or there should be a page shown which states that you have submitted your return successfully and that it has been received by HMRC.

In addition to this, if you check your email inbox directly afterward then you should see that you have received a confirmation by email receipt stating that your submission was submitted successfully.

If you do not receive this then you may need to get in touch with HMRC or investigate further whether your return was submitted.

It’s also noting though, that in times when HMRC is particularly overloaded or busy, then there could be a longer delay in receiving confirmation. This is why it’s important to leave an email address and ensure that your email address and other provided details are completely up to date.

Is it possible to pay by Direct Debit, even if the payment date is the next day?

It is worth keeping in mind that payment for Direct Debit takes three whole days, and working days, until it can be successfully implemented.

For that reason if the payment is due tomorrow then you may wish to consider an alternate payment method, for example a payment card like a debit card, Solo, Electron, Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, or more, which is linked to a bank account based in the United Kingdom.

What is a Direct Debit?

A Direct Debit is a set of instructions given to your financial institution, like a building society, bank, or possibly a credit union.

The Direct Debit Instruction permits the bank to send money out of your account to payees. This is called a Direct Debit.

Can you explain a budget payment plan?

A budget payment plan is a plan which allows you to send payments via Direct Debit which can be used in future when you have payment liabilities which need to be made towards a tax account. These can be high payments or low payments, which are decided upon by you.

It also might be possible for you to choose how often the payments happen and you are also able to stop the payments temporarily for a period of up to half a year. Each persons situation is different, you may wish to call the HM Revenue and Customs telephone number and discuss your situation.

Can you explain a single payment plan?

Yes, a single payment plan is when you set up a one-off payment to cover an amount related to a tax liability, which could include your Class 2 National Insurance contributions for quarterly bills or for something called a deficiency notice. You may also be able to make payments for you PAYE (Pay As You Earn) payments, or for your self-assessment, your stamp duty land tax, tax credits, VAT, and any other associated payments which have a reference code beginning with the character ‘X’.
Other taxes that require paying might have different rules or regulations for payment options, so you should investigate these when necessary to find out how to pay.

Can you explain a Tax Credit repayment plan?

Yes, a tax credit repayment plan is something offered when the customer is informed by HMRC that they have been given too many tax credits. If this is the case, then you are able to repay the amount overpaid over a period of a year, and this is called a Tax Credit Repayment Plan.

Can I do a tax credit repayment plan over a period of less than twelve months?

You may be able to do this but in order to find out you will have to contact HMRC with your relevant information and find out what options are available to you. It might depend on your personal circumstances, the amount and your ability to repay as well as payment methods, so it’s worth investigating fully.

I’ve already set up a Direct Debit, can I change it?

There are some circumstances to consider and there isn’t a clear yes or no answer. It could depend on when the next payment is due and how close you are to HMRC’s repayment date.

This is because Direct Debits may take up to three working days to become fully implemented so if you change it too close to the repayment date then you may end up missing it while the Direct Debit takes effect.

Can I amend payments which are needed in the next three days?

No, not for the next three working days anyway. This is because Direct Debits have a three day lag time and it takes up to three working days to set up a new Direct Debit, so if you do it within this time frame then you will miss the payment deadline.

Can you explain the Direct Debit Guarantee?

Yes. Every Direct Debit which is set up is covered by a special kind of guarantee. This means that if there is an incorrect Direct Debit or a fraudulent Direct Debit, or if the amount is wrong, then it will be refunded by the bank or financial institution.

This is known as the Direct Debit Guarantee, and is usually part of the form written to the bank and to the consumer known as the Direct Debit Instruction or DDI.

Can HMRC let me know if I have a reminder or a PAYE issue?

Yes, it is possible that HMRC can email you if there is something like a notice necessary for you to tackle. To do this you must ensure that your details are fully up to date, and that if you change your email address you update it on the appropriate portal.

That way, HM Revenue and Customs can email you when you have something due coming up.

Can I find old notifications that were sent over a week ago?

Yes, it may be possible for you to find notices and notifications that were issued over one week ago. You must use the search function or the ‘At a Glance’ page to do so however.

Furthermore, if you are an agent and acting on behalf of someone else then it is important that you choose for which client you are looking for information on first. You may also wish to use personal information or identifiers like their National Insurance Number to locate the right information.

Can I download my notifications and notices?

Yes, you may be able to use the download feature offered in the portal to download them as CSV file types. This is especially useful if for your accounting or payroll services you use some specialised financial software.

You may import these CSV files into the software fairly easily. If on the other hand, you are not utilising any form of software for dealing with payroll then you may be able to simply print these from their location on your web browser, thus nullifying the need for you to download them.

Is it possible to register for Pension Schemes over the internet?

Yes, there are two different stages and you need to do both of these to do it. The first stage is known as pre-registering and this is when you provide your personal information and some details, and then you register to activate your online account using an activation code.

Can you explain what an activation token is?

Yes, an activation token is a special piece of information which is given to people in order for them to register their details and information. These are normally send via hard copy through the post and are planned to arrive within five days.

The activation token is used to active

I’ve lost my activation token, what should I do?

Unfortunately it’s not possible for HMRC to reissue the same activation token. For that reason, if you have received your activation token but have lost it and haven’t used it to register yet, then you will have to reapply for a new one through the Government Gateway service.

Again, you will need to wait for this activation token to arrive and then implement it to activate the online service again.

How quickly can I use the Pension Schemes online after registering?

If you’ve received your activation code then once you have activated your account using it then you can begin using the Pension Schemes online straight away without any delay.

If on the other hand, you’re still waiting to receive an activation code and have not yet activated your account then you will need to wait until you have received it before you can activate the service and begin using it.

I want to let other people in my organisation using the online service for Pension Schemes, can I?

Yes, it is possible to register other individuals within your company or organisation to use the Pension Schemes Online.

Firstly, you will have to register yourself.

After this, and after you have activated your account, you can use the government gateway portal to register new users for the account, and you can also delete users as well, or create a different category of user, called ‘assistant’ who will be able to use only a few features of the online service.

Assistants will however be able to send some necessary forms to HMRC, provided that they have the required programme on their computer.

You will also be able to change which services which users can access and make any required changes to registration information and contact details.

Which forms is it required that I file online for pensions?

There are a number of forms which must and can only be submitted online when filing pension information. For example, if you wish to send an application to sign up for a pension scheme, then you must do this online.

In addition, you must use an online service to register Pension Scheme Returns, and for some tax returns.

If you want to wind-up or end a pension scheme, terminate an administrator’s appointment notifications.

For that reason, if you need to conduct any of these services then you must do it using the online capabilities of the HMRC portal, or using appropriate software in any other applicable cases.

I want to change something on a form that I’ve already filed online, can I do that?

It’s possible if you’re using Pension Schemes Online to make some changes to forms that have already been submitted.

To do this, firstly you will need to login to your account and then select the link for amending or altering submitted forms, this is in the section of the website titled ‘reporting’. That said, if you wish to do this you must first check whether it is possible using any software packages that you use to file this information.

It might be that the commercial application you use to file these forms is not compatible with the amendment technology, so you may wish to research this first before attempting to make any changes to previously filed forms.

I didn’t finish my form, how long are they saved?

For online Pension Schemes, these forms which are not quite completed will be stored for up to a month, or thirty days, before they are deleted. For some cases, like the Registered Pension Scheme Return, they may be kept for close to a year (eleven months).

These will be listed under the heading of ‘incomplete’ or ‘incomplete tasks’ when you log into your account on the home page.

Am I required to complete a self assessment tax return form for HMRC?

This depends. If you are not currently paying Pay As You Earn payments, or you are not currently working full time or part time as a registered employee of a company then you may be required to fill out a self-assessment form of tax return.

Another circumstance in which this may be required is that you have some other form of payment or income which comes to you from abroad, or if you own a property which you receive an income from, or if you receive any other form of payment or income from another investment vehicles or from a large quantity of savings.

Essentially, if you are earning, or receiving, money from a source outside of your employment then it is likely that you may have to fill out a self assessment tax return and send this to HMRC within the necessary timeframes.

What are the main reasons for filling out a tax return?

The main reason to fill out a tax return is if you work for yourself, including if you work in conjunction with someone else as a partnership.

If you have a partnership or you are self-employed and don’t work for another company, it is likely that you will have to fill out a tax return.

There are other circumstances as well where you may be required to fill out a tax return.

As an example, if you are the registered director of an organisation or the director of a company you may be required to fill out a tax return.

Finally, if you are in a prominent ministerial position of a religious body or spiritual organization, you may also be required to fill out a tax return, although this depends on your personal circumstances.

If HMRC ask me to fill out a tax return, do I have to do it?

Yes, if you have been asked by HMRC to complete a tax return then you are required to do so, the reason is to ensure that the amount that you pay in tax is accurate and that you are not paying too little, or conversely, too much tax towards HMRC.

I have savings or investments of over ten thousand pounds, do I have to fill out a tax return?

Yes, if you have any income that you receive from either savings or from investments in excess of ten thousand pounds, then you may be required to fill out a tax return and send it to HM Revenue and Customs periodically.

I have income from savings or investments of over two thousand pounds, do I need to fill out a tax return?

Not necessarily.

The limit is set at two thousand five hundred pounds, so if you receive any income from savings or from an investment that is not being taxed, and the amount is over two thousand five hundred pounds, then the answer is that you will have to complete a tax return.

I receive income from abroad, do I need to fill out a tax return?

Yes, if you receive any form of income from a different country or from overseas then it is likely you may have to fill out a tax return.

I have income from a house, building, or other piece of property that I own, do I have to fill out a tax return?

Yes, but only in the circumstance that after you have taken off your allowed expenses from the income that you received it still numbers in excess of ten thousand pounds.

If, after expenses, the figure is below ten thousand pounds then you may not be required to fill out a tax return, although you may wish to receive professional guidance on what exactly is necessary for your specific circumstances.

I receive some income from the estate of a person who’s died, but there is still tax due on this amount. Do I have to fill in a tax return?

Yes, it is possible that if you have an income which comes from the estate of a person who has died and tax has not yet been paid on this amount, then you may be required by HMRC to fill out a tax return.

I receive Child Benefit, do I need to fill out a tax return?

If you receive Child Benefit then you may be required to fill out a tax return. However, this only applies if you have an income in excess of over fifty thousand pounds per year.

If your income is below this limit and you do not have any other forms of income ast listed above then you may not be required to fill out a tax return. However, you might wish to seek advice specific to your situation to find out whether or not this is required.

What is the process for paying income tax?

There are many different ways that you can pay income tax, and this depends on several factors including how you work or how you earn an income.

One way is through the Pay As You Earn, or PAYE scheme. This means that income tax is taken directly from your bank account before you receive interest. You also need to do self assessment in this case.

If you work for a company, or even if you get a pension from a company or from a private pension, then the organisation in charge will continue to remove tax automatically using a special code given to them by HMRC, known as a tax code. This is the cornerstone of PAYE.

If on the other hand, you are self-employed or work for yourself, or are in a partnership, you may be required to assess yourself through a self-assessment tax return.

These can either be filled out by hand and posted in a traditional way, or now you can also fill them out online.

I paid my Corporation Tax late, what should I do?

If you have paid your corporation tax late or missed the deadline, then this is technically known as a late payment, and HMRC will take some measures, including charging additional interest.

HM Revenue and Customs will begin to charge interest from the very next day that the late payment was due.

It will continue to accrue additional interest until the date that the payment is received. It is worth knowing that you may be able to deduct any payable interest to HM Revenue and Customs for tax reasons.

When do I have to file my Company Tax return?

It is normally the case that you have to file your Company Tax Return within one year (twelve months) of the close of your business’ accounting period. This is called the statutory filing date.

If you miss this deadline, even if you are not required to pay anything, then you may still be charged a penalty.

What does HMRC charge if I am late filing my Company Tax?

If you do not file your company tax return on time then you may receive a written warning from HMRC.

You may be charged up to one hundred pounds as a penalty and there could also be an additional penalty of one hundred pounds if you still fail to file your return within the following twelve weeks.

After this period of three months, the penalty rate increases to five hundred pounds, and additional five hundred pounds three months after that.

If after this period you continue not to file your company tax return, there will then be additional penalties which are relative to the amount of money which you owe. These can be up to ten percent of unpaid corporation tax.

What do I need to fill out if I’m self employed for HMRC?

If you work for yourself then it’s important that you fill in a tax return known as a Self Assessment Tax return once per year.

You should be sent the correct forms by HMRC, or alternatively if you prefer to do it over the internet, that is now possible too.

You might have to submit information about how much profit you have made from your business, and whether you have any more taxable income from assets that you own. You will then have the amount that you are required to pay in NI calculated.

It is important for this reason to maintain accurate records of all your financial transactions and business related transactions, and this will make it more simple a process for calculating your tax liability.

Can I do self-assessment myself or should I get an accountant?

This is up to you.

Although HMRC attempt to make these self-assessment tax return forms simple and easy to do, many people prefer to hire an accountant or a financial services firm to help them with the process.

HM Revenue and Customs will send you forms called SA100 and SA101, and potentially some additional pages which require filling out depending on your personal circumstances.

When do I need to submit my self-assessment tax return?

The hard deadline for submitting a traditional paper copy is reaching HM Revenue and Customs by 12am on the last day (thirty-first) of October each year.

Otherwise, if you intend to submit it online then the deadline is much later, and you will not be required to submit your tax return until the final day of January.

What happens if I don’t submit my self assessment on time?

In this case it is likely that you will be charged a penalty fee for missing the deadline for filing your self assessment tax return with HMRC.

I work for myself in construction, do I have to fill out a tax return?

Yes, if you are self-employed and work in the construction industry, or if you are a mechanic or any other form of contracted self-employment work then you may be required to fill out a self-assessment tax return.

I own a business, what do I have to pay tax on?

Basically, you will be required to pay tax on the amount of profit that your company makes.

However, you are also allowed to minus your deductible expenses.

This is why it is important to keep track of your business expenses as they can greatly lessen the amount of tax that you will be required to pay annually to HMRC.

What kind of records do I need to retain?

If you work for yourself then you have to keep records of how much money you make (income) and any other additional capital that you receive during that time.

You may be required to keep these by law up to twenty two months after the tax year has ended, although if you are a special kind of business known as a sole trader then it is likely you would have to keep these records for up to 5 years and 10 months after the end of the annual taxation period.

You may wish to keep filed copies of things like invoices, receipts from anything you’ve sold and the receipts for any expenses that you have incurred.

These should be kept in a place that is cool, dry, safe and secure and so they can’t be damaged. You might wish to organise these documents by client or by the day or month that they were incurred.

Otherwise, if you do not want to deal with this hassle then it may be worth hiring a legitimate and experienced accountant to help you keep track of your documents and help you file your tax return with HMRC every year.

Should I do my Tax Return straight away when the year finishes, or should I not complete it right away?

This is a difficult question and may be influenced by some of your personal circumstances but the conventional wisdom is that it is often better to fill out your tax information as early as possible, as leaving it until close to the deadline makes you more likely to miss payment dates resulting in potential financial penalties and additional stress.

Do I need to ask HMRC for a self assessment tax form?

As long as you have registered with HM Revenue and Customs as self-employed or working for yourself, then they may send you a form automatically for you to use.

If on the other hand, you do not receive a form, you might wish to request one.

It is not a good idea to ignore filling it, even if you do not receive it, as this could leave you open to greater liabilities and punitive measures later on if discovered.

I made a mistake on my return, what should I do?

If you have made a mistake on your tax return or you have sent the wrong information then you will need to let HMRC know at your earliest possible opportunity.

The reason is that even if it is due to making a mistake, known as negligence, you can still be liable for penalties if your tax return information is not correct.

For that reason, you may wish to ensure that it is correct the first time, and certainly aim to let HM Revenue and Customs know as quickly as possible if you discover that you have made an error of some description in your filing.

How can I make it easier to file my Tax Return?

If you are finding it difficult and confusing to get your tax affairs in order then there are a number of solutions you might try.

These could include investing in software to help you arrange your records, other filing measures or filing cabinets, hiring an assistant, or engaging a professional accountancy service to deal with your tax affairs so that you aren’t required to do so.

Should I do my tax return online or by hand?

There are a number of advantages to filing in your tax information online for HMRC.

There is less paperwork, there is little danger of it becoming lost while in the process of being posted, and perhaps the biggest benefit of all is the extended deadline, offering you an extra three months in which to complete your return.

Aside from this, when you submit online you also get an instant confirmation, and the software used by HM Revenue and Customs will also calculate your tax liability automatically.

On the whole, there are many reasons to consider using online services provided by HMRC to fill in your tax information, as opposed to doing it the traditional way.

However, you may wish to weigh up these benefits as opposed to how much you prefer doing it the traditional way, and do whichever is most comfortable and appropriate for your specific circumstances.