Contact Child Tax Credit Helpline

TAP HERE TO CALL Child Tax Credit


*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours


Days Open Closed
Monday 08:00 20:00
Tuesday 08:00 20:00
Wednesday 08:00 20:00
Thursday 08:00 20:00
Friday 08:00 20:00
Saturday 08:00 16:00
Sunday 09:00 17:00


Pro Tips for Contacting Child Tax Credits:

Child Tax Credits can help with the financial aspect of raising a child.

You should find out if you’re eligible for this benefit. Many don’t bother and billions of pounds go unclaimed every year.

There is a minimum amount you can benefit from, but there are other options that add to this amount, like how many children are living with you, whether your child if classed as disabled and your income.

If your total household income is less than £25,000 you probably qualify for it.

Update your claim any time if your circumstance change and you could benefit from more of a payout.

Frequently asked questions:

How do I keep my Child Tax Credits up to date?

Your claim will need to be updated / renewed every year and every time your circumstances or details change.

The Tax Credit office will send a letter detailing what needs to be done to keep you up to date with your claim.

Will Universal Credit affect my current Child Tax Credit Claim?

Child Tax Credits are being phased out and replaced by Universal Credits. If you’re claiming those tax credits, you won’t be affected right now anyway. You can’t claim both benefits at the same time.

Will I be eligible for any other benefits?

You could be able to claim other benefits like Working Tax Credit. The best way to find out is to give Child Tax Credits a call and ask one of the advisors. Remember to have you National Insurance number, date of birth and address handy – also any other information that might be relevant.

How are Child Tax Credits paid to me?

If you qualify for Child Tax Credits and have applied for them then they should be paid directly into the bank account of the applicant. As for the frequency of payments, this can be either every single week or every month. This could change though if your personal situation changes.

When will I be paid?

You will be paid every four weeks from the date you made your claim. You will receive payments up until the financial year end, so don’t forget to renew your claim.

What if my circumstances change?

You will need to notify Child Tax Credits immediately following any changes in your circumstances. If this isn’t done you might not be able to benefit from extra money owed to you. If your circumstances change and you’re eligible to receive less, you need to let the Child Tax Credits office know otherwise when they do find out, you might need to make a large back-payment.

How do I know if I’m “fully responsible for the child if I share custody?

  • You qualify as responsible for the child if:
  • Their toys and clothes are at your home
  • You pay for their food and give them money
  • They normally live with you
  • They live in one of the EEA countries or Switzerland, but their economic sustenance if from you

If you’re not sure, give Child Tax Credits office a call and they will be able to assist you further.

Who can access Child Tax Credits?

There are many people who may be able to access Child Tax Credits in the United Kingdom. In order to access it, firstly you have to be responsible for a child or children. The age limit for a child is sixteen years old, so you can claim Child Tax Credits up to the 31st of August on the child’s sixteenth birthday.

That said, if they are up to twenty years old, or in the age range of sixteen to twenty, and in full-time education that meets some eligible criteria, you may still be able to claim Child Tax Credits.

You do not need to be in full time employment to gain Child Tax Credit, so if you’re wondering whether you have to be in a job the answer is no. However, it’s important to keep in mind that only one household may claim Child Tax Credits. Call the Child Tax Credit number on this page to discuss your situation.

Can I claim Child Tax Credit for children who live with someone else?

This is a difficult question but generally the government of the UK state that to gain Child Tax Credits, it must be for a child whom you are totally responsible for. So it is unlikely that you will be able to gain Child Tax Credits for a child that you are not directly responsible for.

How much will I get in Child Tax Credits?

The system for working out Child Tax Credits can be seen as rather complex, and the amount that you will receive depends on a number of factors, including the year that your children were born in. Call the Child Tax Credit contact number to help determine your benefits.

What are the ranges for Child Tax Credits?

There are several different ranges for how much you may receive. There is a basic amount stipulated for the tax year to two thousand and eighteen, and this amount, which is also called the ‘family element’ is up to 545 pounds per year.

There is then the ‘child element’ which means the amount that you receive for each child, and this is up to 2,870 pounds per year. If your children have disabilities then you may qualify for an increased amount, up to an additional 3,175 pounds per year added to, not in place of the child element.

In addition to this, if you have severely disabled children, then you might be able to qualify for a severely disabled child tax credit allowance of up to 1,290 pounds per year in addition to both the child element of 2,870 pounds and the disabled child allowance of up to 3,175 pounds. The exact amount however depends on your personal circumstances, contact Child Tax Credits to discuss your situation.

How long after moving to the UK before I can claim Child Tax Credit?

Normally, if you have moved from an EEA country to the United Kingdom, and you aren’t in work or employed, the you will need to wait for a minimum of twelve weeks (three months) before you are able to qualify for Child Tax Credits. There are some cases where it may be shorter than this, for example if you are a refugee.

How do I claim Child Tax Credits?

To do this you will firstly need to get a claims form from the UK government by calling the Child Tax Credit phone number. Following this, you may need to wait for a period of up to fourteen days (two weeks) before the claims form arrives to your home or to your designated postal address.

After filling out and submitting the form, it may take up to five weeks before your claim has been approved and gone through the processing procedures.

How do I know if I’m responsible for a child?

This is not an easy question to answer, but the UK government does publish some guidelines to help you decide whether or not you qualify as being responsible for the child. For example, if they live with you all of the time, or they don’t live with you all of the time but they normally live with you, this could be considered evidence that you’re responsible for the child.

In addition to this, if you provide them with their main source of food, financial support (e.g. money that you give the child for living expenses), they keep a significant amount of personal possessions at your home, or they are financially dependent on you (and are living in a country inside the European Economic Area) then you may be seen as responsible for them.

If you’re still unsure, you may wish to contact the Child Tax Credit helpline to discuss your personal situation.

My child is adopted, can I get still get Child Tax Credit?

This depends, as you may already be receiving money from the local government or local council for your adopted child.

You should attempt to ascertain if you have any additional funding that you receive from the local government to help you with the costs of raising the child, before calling the child tax credit telephone number to discuss your situation and find out whether you are eligible for Child Tax Credit.

My child is fostered, can I still get Child Tax Credit?

Again, this is a similar situation to adopting. If you’re receiving funding from another government body then you may not be entitled to Child Tax Credit.

It’s important that you get in contact with the government and obtain as many details on what support you’re getting in order to find out whether you can receive it. Once you’ve obtained this information call Child Tax Credits and discuss your situation.