Contact UK Border Agency UKBA Helpline

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours




Pro Tips for the UKBA / UK Visas and Immigration number callers

UK Border Agency now operates under the name – UK Visas and Immigration.

The UK Visas and Immigration website allows anyone from anywhere in the world to check if they need a visa to enter the United Kingdom. The advice offered from this government agency, is up to date and full of vital information for potential travellers, students, refugees and immigrants.

Visa processing times have improved significantly over the years and many countries have opted into a mutual ease of restrictions with regards to entry requirements.

As a professional, trained in most industries that are active in the UK, you stand a better chance of being offered permanent residence.

Study visas are popular in the United Kingdom as the UK hosts four out of six of the worlds’ most sought after universities.

The UK Visas and Immigration website has information on arriving in the UK, claiming asylum, EEA family permits, immigration appeals and legal advice.

Frequently asked questions

What do I need to settle in the UK?

There are several subjects that you can explore online. They are as follows:

  • Applications to settle in the UK
  • Biometric residence permits
  • Return home voluntarily if you’re in the UK illegally
  • Refugee status and humanitarian protection
  • Proving your knowledge of the English language
  • Taking the “Life in the UK” test
  • Visas and immigration procedure guidance

What else does the Visas and Immigration department do?

UK Visas and Immigration have the following duties:

  • Helping you check if you need a visa
  • Visa application
  • Standard UK visa processing
  • Work visa processing
  • Study visa processing
  • Information on immigration rules
  • Sponsorship management system
  • Advice on immigration law
  • Operational guidance

Can I report someone who I think is in the United Kingdom illegally?

Yes you can.. Just give UK Border Agency / UK Visas and Immigration a call and ask to report the person. You can also go online to the UK Visas and Immigration website and fill out the contact form related to reporting an illegal immigrant.

What is the process for wanting to visit the UK?

You will need to find out if you need a visa first. If so then the next step is finding out how to get approved for that visa.

You are entitled to apply for a visa (Standard Visitor visa) if you:

  • Are taking part in business, partaking in a sporting event or an artistic project or concert
  • Want to visit family and friends or simply see the UK as a tourist
  • Need to visit for other reasons (medical treatment etc..)

If you have been to the UK before and had a visa of a different name, don’t worry.. the Standard Visa has replaced the following visas:

  • General visitor visa
  • Family visitor visa
  • Child visitor visa
  • Sports visitor visa
  • Approved destination status visa
  • Private medical treatment visa
  • Entertainer visa
  • Prospective entrepreneur visa
  • Business visa

How do I apply for a UK visa or help my friend/family member apply for a UK visa?

There are several steps to this process if you want to apply for a UK visa yourself or help another person apply for a UK visa.

The absolute first step is always to see whether the person in question qualified for a UK visa, as some people are restricted in their ability to apply for one. You can also see whether the person requires a visa at all, as some countries, especially countries within the EU, offer visa-free travel. Australians, Canadians, United States Citizens, and several Asian countries do not require a visa to travel to the UK for up to six months.

Following this, the person may need to complete a visa application online using the Foreign Office website at Then, once the application has been submitted, the person will be asked to pay a visa application fee.

Visa fees and the process varies a lot though, and it depends if you want a tourist visa, a working visa, or a residency visa. There is an online quiz to help people find out what kind of visa they need and the details associated with it that can be found here. If you would prefer to speak with a representative you can call the UK Border Agency contact number listed above.

After the application process, you may be required to attend an interview at a partner centre. Following this if your application is successful you will receive your visa, if it is not successful you will receive an email or letter that states that you have not been granted a visa.

What kind of Visas does the UKBA offer and which should I choose?

This is a difficult question to answer as the type of visa you apply for depends on many things, including your nationality, purpose of visit, length of stay, and financial circumstances. The following is a quick look at some of the options available. To find out more, look on the UKBA website or call the UKBA contact number.

For visitors, you may be able to apply for a standard visitor visa, marriage visitor visa, parent of a child on a Tier 4 visa, or transit visa. For work, there are many choices available, including an entrepreneur visa, investor, exceptional talent, sponsored worker, or temporary worker visa.

Why was my visa application refused?

If you applied for a visa and it was refused, there are many reasons that may have caused this outcome. The UKBA state that some of the reasons for refusal include being convicted of a criminal offence when the person has been sent to jail (imprisoned) for more than 4 years, when they have been convicted for less than 4 years but at least 12 months and it was less than 10 years ago, or if they are the subject of a deportation order.

There are other reasons too, including ‘failing to satisfy’ a deportation office that the reason for applying for the visa is legitimate, where false documents have been used, when the person has no authentic passport or travel document, if they have overstayed a visa before, and many other reasons depending on the circumstances. When you receive a visa refusal letter, you may be able to enquire as to why it was refused by calling the UK Border Agency phone number.

Where can I find out more about UK Visas and the border association?

There are many sources of information. The most up-to-date and reliable is the UK Border Agency website. You should exercise caution when looking to other websites that may be out of date or may not have the correct information. To make urgent claims make sure to contact UK Border Agency, you may use email or telephone.