Contact Income Support Helpline
Customer Service Hours
Remember to declare your partners savings as well, as this counts towards your eligibility.
Once you reach retirement age, you are able to apply for Pension Credit
You can be sleeping rough, in a care home, with friends or in a hostel – you could still be able to claim. A permanent address is not essential.
You can also qualify of you’re between 16 and 19 and are either a parent, not living with a parent or guardian or a refugee learning English
Tell JobCentre Plus as soon as your circumstances change in any way. This can be anything that effects your income, job changes, savings, address and even if someone moves in or out of your household.
You could be committing benefit fraud if you don’t tell Income Support about changes in your situation.
The quickest way to make an application is over the phone, so call today.
You will need two things for identification when you call. Your date of birth and your National Insurance Number.
If you feel that you have been denied income support unfairly, you have the right to appeal this decision. The appeal must be made to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal
Find out if you are eligible for income support and apply now. The minimum amount of money for a person that qualifies for income support, is £57.90 a week and you will be automatically eligible for child support too if you also have children.
Frequently asked questions:
How do I know if I qualify?
You need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Work less than 16 hours per week and if you live with someone, they have to work less than 24 hours per week
- You must live in England, Scotland or Wales
- You must have a low wage or no wage at all and savings not exceeding £16000.
- You must be over the age of 16 and below retirement age.
- You must be either sick, disabled, a carer, pregnant, or a single parent with a child under 5 years old.
What disqualifies me from getting income support?
You usually won’t get income support if you:
- Get Employment and Support Allowance
- Get Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Need a visa to enter the UK
- Have savings exceeding £16000
- Are a young person and in the care of a local government authority
How much will I get?
That depends on your circumstances. You can get a basic payment that will be a personal allowance and extra payments that are known as “premiums”
How will I be paid?
All forms of income support are made fortnightly and are paid directly into a bank account.
Can I get the higher rate?
Possibly. It’s circumstantial so if you’re responsible for a child or living with a partner and usually would qualify for employment, Jobseeker’s, support or income support allowance if you were single – give the advice line a call to find out.