Contact Child Maintenance Service

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours




Pro Tips for contacting Child Maintenence Service:

Use the Child Maintenance Service if you are a single parent or guardian.

If you’re able to come to an agreement with the other parent of the child, you can make an arrangement without the help of the British government. This is known as a family-based arrangement.

Call the helpful advisors to get advice and impartial information on what the best option is for you to take.

Let the Child Maintenance Service help you find the child’s other parent if you can’t.

CMS may be able to sort out disagreements about parentage.

CMS can take legal action if payments aren’t made after they were agreed upon.

CMS are able to work out how much should be paid

With Child Maintenance Service, you are able to create an online account and manage the fees and other details from there.

Frequently asked questions:

How much are your fees?

There are application fees and enforcement charges as well as fees for collecting and paying out child maintenance. Call or go online to see how much these fees would be for you.
You won’t have to pay any fees, if you and the child’s other parent make their own arrangement.
You also won’t need to pay if your case is being dealt with by CSA (Child Support Agency).
However – the CSA only deals with existing cases, all new cases are handles by Child Maintenance Service.

Is my child eligible for Child Maintenance?

Your child is eligible if he/she is:

• Under 16 or under 20 but studying full time
Who else can use the service?

• A child living in Scotland that is over the age of 12
• The parent the child lives with
• The parent the child doesn’t live with
• Another guardian of the children

You can’t apply if the child and the parent who looks after the child, live abroad.
How do I make an application?

If you feel that you are eligible and you’ve qualified for this service, contact the Child Maintenance Options office and speak to an advisor.

What information will I need to give?

Details of the child that you are making the claim for – including the date of birth, full name and names of both parents.

Your bank account details so you are able to receive payments and your National Insurance number.
How long will it take to start receiving payments?

Although the application is usually completed within four weeks, it can take up to six weeks to receive your first payment. This is conditional on Child Maintenance Service finding the other parent.

What will happen if the absent parent doesn’t make a payment?

If a payment is missed, the absent parent will be notified and asked why the payment wasn’t made. CMS will then ask for the payment and warn them of further legal action if they don’t pay.