Contact Carers Allowance Helpline

TAP HERE TO CALL Carers Allowance

*Calls to 0844 numbers cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. This is a call routing / call connection service and the company’s official phone numbers can be found for free in the public domain. We are not associated with any company or agency listed on our website while trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners.

Customer Service Hours




Pro Tips for Carers Allowence:

You must be over the age of 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone – to be able to claim this benefit.

The person you care for doesn’t have to be a family member or someone you live with.

The Carers Allowance is taxable, so it could affect your other benefits.

You will still be contributing to additional state pension and you’ll still get National Insurance credits.

You can still get a holiday if you are a Carer. You can have a break if either one of you goes away for up to four weeks. It is also considered a break if either one of you goes in hospital or care for up to twelve weeks.
You might not get a Carers Allowance if you already get one or more of the following:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Training Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Widow’s Pensions
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • State Pension
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • War widow or widower’s Pensions
  • and more… call and ask if you don’t see your benefit mentioned here.

Frequently asked questions:

How much money will I get if I care for someone and I meet the minimum requirements?

Carers Allowance is £62.10 per week.

When will I be paid?

You can choose to be paid either weekly in advance, every 4 weeks or every thirteen weeks.

This will be paid directly into your bank account.

Will this effect my other benefits?

Yes, your benefits will be reduced by the amount you get from your Carers Allowance.

The benefits to be reduced are:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You may also want to check if you’re liable for Council Tax reduction.

There is a benefit cap that limits the amount of benefit you can receive if you’re between the ages of 16 and 64.

Your Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit could be reduced. Contact the Tax Credits line for more information about this.

Will the person I care for have their benefits affected too?

Yes, your carers allowance could make a difference to the person you’re caring for.

This could happen if the get a severe disability premium with any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit

Their severe disability premium will stop once you get your Carers Allowance. Not only this, but it could also affect their Council Tax reduction.

How do I make a claim?

  • Once you know you’re eligible, you must have the following:
  • The date of birth of the person you’re caring foreign-sourced
  • The address of the person you’re caring for
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your banking details (so we can make deposits)